As the number of cases recedes around the world, and travel begins to resume, our University partners are beginning to plan upcoming
academic trips. We are constantly and meticulously assessing our destinations based on key criteria to ensure the health, safety,
and academic experience of all participants in upcoming travel programs, which are being planned for Q3 and Q4 of 2021.
The key criteria we monitor include:
- COVID-19 vaccine administration.
- Expected herd immunity for COVID-19 (estimated at 80%)
- The entry requirements for travelers.
- The country’s COVID-19 impact.
- How open to tourism is the country.
- Mobility restrictions, and mask-wearing mandates.
We provide detailed risk assessments for our destinations upon request and in all of our travel proposals. Please go to
our destinations page to see
which destinations we are operating in 2021 for travel programs in-person.
June 22, 2020
As we navigate our way through the sudden adjustment in travel, work, and social interactions from COVID-19, each of us is beginning
to envision and plan how our lives, our jobs, and the world may be different once we emerge from the pandemic. Even though all
industries are being impacted in one way or another, Education and Travel are among those which are experiencing the most profound,
and possibly permanent, disruption.
To better understand the uncertainty of what the future holds, Austral Education Group conducted a global, industry-wide survey
to ask the university academic community for their insights and opinions on where experiential education is heading, and when
we can expect essential learning activities to resume. 281 respondents from 29 different countries participated in this survey
to provide a global perspective on the situation and what the future holds
Update as of March 19, 2020
Dear Austral Group community,
The global implications of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues to impact each of us and our lives on a daily basis. During
this time of massive disruption, we share a commitment to support our employees, clients and our service providers. Like many industries,
the education and travel sectors have been hit hard, especially small and medium enterprises, and we are doing our best to maintain
business continuity for Austral Group and our employees until the situation improves.
Our contingency plan is to ensure a safe environment for our clients and employees, and I would like to share the updates that are
taking place at Austral Group:
- Suspension of Travel. All Austral travel programs to all destinations through April 30 have been cancelled or
postponed to a later date. For programs scheduled after May 1, 2020 we continue to monitor the health and safety risks of travel
and social interactions, as well as government-imposed travel restrictions to determine if programs will need to be re-scheduled
to a later date. If you have a future trip scheduled with us, and you would like to discuss the option of re-scheduling or
postponing, please schedule a call with us as soon as possible.
- Remote Work and Communication. As of Monday, March 16 all Austral Group team members are working remotely from
home as part of our social distancing efforts. During this time, our commitment is to deliver the same rapid response and high
level of service as always and without disruption. We are utilizing Zoom video calls, and our team is also available by email,
Slack, WhatsApp, Skype or nearly any other voice/video platform that we’re able to access. You may reach us at any time via
one of these platforms or use our communications calendar to schedule a call with our team.
- Support and Flexibility. We are asking our team to limit travel and avoid unnecessary social situations in an
effort to slow transmission of the virus. We provide paid sick leave for any Austral team member showing symptoms, and also
for employees to support family members who may be affected. In addition, we are honoring payments and work agreements with
our non-permanent, flex staff located in each destination we serve, even for work not performed due to trip cancellations.
Beyond our direct team, Austral Group is exploring ways to provide greater support and service to the local communities in the destinations
in which we operate. We are all in this together and need to look out for one another.
- Virtual Learning Experiences. As a direct response to limited travel options and trip cancellations, Austral Group
is creating online and virtual learning opportunities as a complement to the academic curriculum. This approach is new for
Austral Group and we anticipate our ability to roll out virtual learning on a bigger and more robust scale within a few months. Some
of the virtual learning options we offer include:
- Presentations with Q&A - discussions and Q&A sessions with business executives.
- Business Challenge - a virtual version of our Live Business Challenge whereby a C-level Executive presents
an actual business problem for students to examine and recommend solutions.
- Online Roundtable - students select from a menu of topics to participate in a small group breakout session with
an expert to discuss a topical issue. Limited to groups of 10 students per breakout room.
- Business Panel - We bring together a panel of executives around a business theme for an interactive discussion with
your students. This may be a multi-national panel with speakers connecting from different countries.
- Fireside chat - an informal conversation or interview between your faculty and a business executive or industry
- Consulting Projects - a virtual version of student consulting teams who interact and work directly with senior executives
to solve real-world business problems. This in-depth activity may require 2-4 months of student project work.
Most of these options can be accompanied with an academic grade and/or participation component under the supervision of your professors.
Virtual learning is a powerful tool that will be offered as part of every Austral Group experience going forward. That said, we firmly
believe in the irreplaceable richness of travel and in-person interaction to foster learning, bring people together, and to cultivate
hearts and minds. When you are ready to travel again, we will be ready to serve you.
- Refunds and Credits for Cancelled Trips. Due to Austral Group’s policy of booking and paying for travel services
well in advance to secure favorable rates and conditions with our logistics providers, Austral Group may be subject to the
terms and conditions of our providers’ contracts and cancellation policies. We are working hard with our providers to secure
refunds, however this may not be possible in all cases. Please reach out to your Austral Group representative or contact our Client Care department for details on your specific
Our team has been working tirelessly to support everyone who has a cancelled or postponed trip to resolve their situation as soon as
possible and to the best of our ability.
- Celebrating 15 Years at Austral Group! On a positive note, Austral Group is delighted to celebrate our 15-year
anniversary in designing and delivering high-impact study programs. Although we have been completely focused on responding
to this difficult situation, I want to take a moment to thank our hard-working and talented team for their extraordinary efforts
and dedication - I am proud of and humbled by the great work you do.
We appreciate your continued support, patience, trust and enduring positivity as we navigate through this challenging and unpredictable
moment. We will continue to assess the situation as it evolves and proactively communicate any impacts and changes.
In the meantime, be kind to each other, be mindful and cautious of your health and of those around you, and thank you for being a part
of the Austral community.